Saturday, April 24, 2010

Robbie Robertson


One Saturday afternoon in 1968 I went downstairs at Steiner Hall, my dorm at WSU - Stevens Point, to visit my friend Ray. Ray brought out a new album he had bought titled Music from Big Pink. It was by a group with the odd name of The Band and featured a painting by Bob Dylan on the front and the title in big block letters with picture of a pink house on the back.

Before the first song, Dylan's wrenching Tears of Rage, was over, I was hooked. The sound was raw and rough, a departure from the highly polished works popular at the time. The guitar work of Robbie Robertson was my main draw.

Over the years, after The Band gave us their Last Waltz, I seem to have lost track of Robbie. I can no longer afford to cruise record stores as I used to and radio is pathetic, so I was unaware of his recent works.

Then a couple weeks ago my friend 99 featured one of his videos at her site and I was once again hooked!

Tonight I begin with a number of his works from Robbie Robertson and The Red Road Ensemble's Music for the Native Americans followby a number of Robbie's works with the band and other works over the years.

Tonight's show is dedicated to my friend, the eminent Agent 99.



Robbie's Website - coming soon
Robbie's Myspace
The Band Website
Wiki
Bio

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope you enjoyed the show!
See you next week.