Saturday, February 16, 2008

Simon & Garfunkel

Tonight’s offering is one of my favorite duos from the ‘60s and ‘70s. There style of folk and folk rock music first caught my eye in the late ‘50s when they were still calling themselves Tom & Jerry. Sounding much like the Everly Brothers they later transformed to the folk genre and took on the Simon and Garfunkel name.


Their angst filled songs such as “A Most Peculiar Man” and “Richard Corey” appealed to me at the time. A college friend and I would play their songs at the campus coffee house and wherever anyone would listen. Being very tall and with my hair fairly short and frizzy I had the appearance of Art and my shorter friend looked much like Paul.

It worked so well that one night while visiting my friends parents in far northern Wisconsin we had a bunch of teenage girls at the local hangout convinced we were Simon and Garfunkel. We overheard them talking – thinking we were them - so we just played along. We played them a bunch of songs then went home and had a good laugh.

Well enough about me, here they are:



Simon & Garfunkel Website

Simon & Garfunkel Wiki

Direct Links to the individual Videos:

America

Mrs. Robinson

Bridge Over Troubled Waters

Sounds of Silence

Old Friends

Scarborough Fair

Homeward Bound

Kodachrome => Maybellene

59th Street Bridge Song

Overs

The Boxer

A Most Peculiar Man

Richard Cory

He Was My Brother

Leaves That Are Green

For Emily

A Poem On The Underground Wall

Kathy’s Song

A Hazy Shade of Winter

My Little Town

A Heart in New York

April Come She Will

American Tune

Me and Julio Down By the Schoolyard

Late in the Evening

Wakeup Little Suzie

Slip Slidin’ Away

I Am A Rock

Cloudy

El Condor Pasa

1 comment:

  1. Corry Hoekman7/02/2014 6:38 PM

    Link of "American Tune"is dead: here is a new one in HD:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hg_9Rm1rWs

    Greets Corry

    ReplyDelete

I hope you enjoyed the show!
See you next week.